As the Houthi forces keeps threatening commercial vessels in the Red Sea, Washington and London initiated another series of raids on Houthi sites in Yemen.
According to a joint statement by the two nations, they launched eight attacks on Monday night on a Houthi subterranean storage facility, as well as rocket and security equipment, with assistance from Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands. “These precision strikes are intended to disrupt and degrade the capabilities that the Houthis use to threaten global trade and the lives of innocent mariners,” part of the statement read.
According to the Houthi movement, the assaults are a demonstration of sympathy for the Palestinian people and a reaction to Israeli war in Gaza.
Since last November, the group in charge of a large portion of Yemen has assaulted many ships in the main canal, causing disruptions to international marine commerce and apprehension about the potential effects on the world economy.
Since two months ago, the Houthi forces have attacked foreign vessels more than thirty times, according to the UK Ministry of Defence.
De-escalating hostilities and restoring calm in the Red Sea were the stated goals of the assaults against Houthi installations, in addition to holding the organization “responsible for their illegal and unjustified attacks on seafarers and economic shipping.”
The Houthi forces said that they had successfully attacked the US military freighter Ocean Jazz in the Gulf of Aden, which prompted the attacks.
The assertions were deemed “patently false” by US Naval Forces CentCom, which added that it had “maintained constant contact with M/V Ocean Jazz throughout its safe passage.”
The Houthi movement did not disclose the exact time or location of the strike or whether any harm was done. The US army has a contract with the vessel that the Houthis mentioned on Monday, according to UK marine security company Ambrey.
British Foreign Minister pledged to continue impeding the group’s capacity to target vessels a few days before the attack: “What we have done is send the clearest possible message that we back our words and our warnings with action while sending the clearest possible message that we will continue to degrade their ability to carry out these attacks.”
Yahya Saree, a spokesman for the Houthi the armed forces, promised retaliation for the assaults on X, declaring that the attacks won’t go un-responded and unchecked.
About 30 missiles were launched during the coordinated attacks, according to an unidentified US military officer. Multiple Houthi sites were also damaged.
It was the first time such modern weaponry had been attacked in Yemen and that the strike eliminated sophisticated weaponry in an underground reservoir.
10 says earlier, American troops began attacking the Houthi forces, one day after the UN Security Council urged an end to the group’s assaults on Red Sea trade.
The Japanese-operated Galaxy Leader was snatched over by the Houthi movement on November 19 and brought to the port of Hodeidah. Since then, the ship’s 25-person international crew—many of whom are from the Philippines—has been detained.