Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence said this late Sunday that it could successfully foil 30 simultaneous explosion plots in Tehran, linking them to Israel.
In a statement issued this late Sunday, Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence said that it could thwart 30 explosion plots that were planned to go off simultaneously in different parts of the capital city of Tehran.
“The 30 terrorist explosions were meant to go off in crowded city centers, but all were prevented and 28 individuals were arrested in connection with the planned attacks during raids in Tehran, Alborz and West Azerbaijan provinces the Ministry of Intelligence said in the statement.
The Ministry also noted that the explosions were planned with the aim of “breaking the country’s security authority, creating an unstable image of the country, sowing despair and fear in the society, and instigating chaos and protests exactly during the anniversary of last year’s riots.”
It added that the arrestees were affiliated with the Islamic State (IS) group, and some of them had contact with what Iran claimed as “Takfiri terrorists” in Syria, or travel records toward Afghanistan, Pakistan and the Iraqi Kurdistan Region.
The statement also revealed the types of some of the equipment and gear seized during the operations including large amounts of explosives, bombs, materials for making them, 100 detonators, electronic tools and devices for making time bombs, 17 American pistols, along with their bullets, smart communication and satellite devices, military outfits, suicide vests, and foreign currency notes.
The ministry also added that during the operations for arresting the terrorists, two intelligence personnel were injured when they prevented a suicide explosion from damaging nearby houses.
Israel was behind the scene of the terrorist plots; Iran’s Intelligence Ministry said
As the statement continued, in addition to the fact that all the arrested had links to the ISIS terrorist group, the way the attacks were planned to be carried out signify that Israel was behind them.
“Even though they were with the armed group, the technical nature of their operations showed a meaningful match with the known methods and workings of the Zionist regime,” the statement said.
Mid-September was the anniversary of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old Iranian girl who died allegedly while in police custody following her arrest for non-compliance with Iran’s dress code.
For month after the incident, different parts of Iran were scene to massive protests. But as the demonstrations cooled down after a while, it seems Israel found the anniversary of Mahsa Amini as the best opportunity to help revive the protests and create chaos in the Islamic Republic.
Iran’s state media showed footages of how the individuals were surveilled by drones before their locations were stormed and they were arrested by intelligence operatives. Suspects were also shown digging up parts to make explosives that they had buried to keep hidden. The clips showed handguns and explosive vests that were confiscated and a group of bound and blindfolded suspects.
Iran has been targeted to ISIS terrorist attacks before. The last case was back in August when ISIL claimed responsibility for an attack on the holy Shah Cheragh shrine in Shiraz, in which two Iranian were killed and the terrorist was arrested.
Less than a year before in October, ISIS had attacked the same shrine, killing13 people and injuring dozens. Iran blamed the second attack on ISIS as well and said a number of foreign nationals were arrested in connection with the operation.